Thinking of making your own spray?
Dislike the idea of spraying unknown chemicals around the house?
then, you're in the right place!
I stopped buying commercial cleaners years ago...
I was able to save more than 200 bucks and i felt safer about my sprays
In this post, I'm going to share with you 5 ways you can combine vinegar to create your own natural cleaner for the things you want to clean.
Skip Ahead if you see something you like
At Homewhis, we independently select and write about topics we love and think you'll like too. Homewhis has affiliate and advertising partnerships so we get revenue from sharing this content and from your purchase.
1. Remove Hard Stains with Citrus Vinegar
This recipe is my personal favourite and i use it regularly from deodorizing my laundries to cleaning out hard window stains.
But if you're like me, you probably dislike the smell of white vinegar...
Fortunately, you can easily create an infused citrus vinegar with leftover citrus peels to turn that stinky vinegar into pleasant fruity smell .
Here's how you make one:
You will need a glass jar with lid, the peels of 3 lemons and a bottle of white vinegar.
- Dice the lemon peels and add them into the glass jar. (try to fill 3/4 of the jar).
- Fill the jar with white vinegar.
- Close the lid and let the lemon peels infuse into the vinegar by keep it in a dark place (preferably in the cabinet or under the sink) for 3 weeks.
After 3 weeks, strain the lemon peels and transfer the solution into a spray bottle of your choice.
Here's how you can use it:
Remove Hard Stains: Depending how hard your water is, spray, wait for 15 minutes and scrub your sink and shower.
Eliminate Calcium Build Ups: Take small cuts of tissue paper and wrap it around your faucet and spray it soaking wet. Let the solution sit for 20 minutes before scrub dry
Trash Can: Spray the inside of the trash can liberally and let the solution sit for 30 minutes before rinsing and drying for use.
Multi-Purpose Cleaning: Combine 3 part vinegar solution and 4 part water to clean your kitchen countertops, tiles and linoleum floors. Dip the mixture with a microfiber cloth for cleaning windows and glass.
The next time you have peels of orange, lemon, grapefruit and lime, don't throw them away!
2. Clean Out Soap Scums with Vinegar & Soap
There is nothing more effective at soap scum and heavy hard water stain than soap Dawn Soap and Vinegar.
This heavy duty bathroom cleaners eliminates germ causing bacteria, dissolves hard stains quickly and leaves your bathroom smelling fresh and clean.
Here's How you make a Vinegar Dawn Spray
You'll need 2 parts of white vinegar, 1 part blue dawn dish soap. An example would be 20 oz of white vinegar and 10 oz of blue dawn dish soap
- Combine the 2 ingredients into a spray bottle
- Use a long stick to stir the mixture until it is well mixed.
- You may add 20 drops of tea tree oil for it's added anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties or, like me you can add peppermint oil (Optional)
Here's a few ways to store the mixture
- Store the solution in a built-in detergent scrub like this one and keep one in the shower so it makes it easy to clean your shower glass.
- Keep a sponge and container of the vinegar dawn mixture somewhere in the bathroom for easy access.
How to use?
- Apply the vinegar dawn mixture liberally to your shower glass, bathtub or shower wall and let it sit for 30 minutes
- Wipe it off with a damp sponge.
- Rinse with water and dry with a microfiber cloth or newspaper for that sparkling new glass look.
Not only is this a more effective way to clean shower stains, it is also more affordable and easy to make!
3. All Purpose Cleaner with Scented Vinegar
If you love natural green cleaners, then this type of vinegar sprayis probably going to be your favourite!
This simple, yet power spray uses discarded fruit peels and herbs that you can find in the backyard or the groceries store making it economical and environmentally friendly.
Scented Vinegar Recipes are Versatileandthey contain 3 main ingredients:
Here's a sample Recipe to get you started:
You'll need a glass jar with lid, enough lime peels to fill half the jar, 10g of Fresh Mint Leaves.
- Fill half the glass jar with the lime peels and add the mint leaves
- Fill the jar with almost boiling white vinegar.
- Close the jar and store in a cabinet or under the sink
- After 2 days, Strains the peels and herbs and store the concentrated scented vinegar in a another glass jar.
How to use Scented Vinegar
All Purpose Cleaning Spray: Dilute the vinegar solution with 1 part vinegar, 1 part water to spray on household surfaces like your countertop, sink and floor. (Do Not use on marble or stone surfaces).
Carpet Deodorant: Use the all purpose cleaning spray (1 part scented vinegar 2 part water) to spray your carpet and leave it to dry.
Effective Microwave Cleaner: Combine 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water into a microwave safe container and leave on high for 2 minutes, letting the vinegar steam dissolve the stains. Then, wipe with a microfiber cloth.
Freshen Your Fridge: Dip a microfiber cloth in equal parts of vinegar and water to wipe.
Fabric Softener: Simply Add a cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle to soften and deodorize the your laundries.
Deep Clean Your Toilet Bowl: Turn off your water supply and empty the water tank then, fill it up with vinegar. Next, stuff wet paper towel onto the water jet area and spray heavily with vinegar, letting it soak overnight. Remove the paper towel and flush out the vinegar.
Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Combine a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 2 part water in your mop bucket and use it like your usual floor cleaner. (Avoid using this on marble, stone or granite floors)
4. Eliminate Toilet Stench Instantly
If you want an instant vinegarcleaning spray, then essential oil infusion might be the way for you!
This is one of my favourites when i am out of vinegar sprays, it is easy to make, non-toxic and really effective too!
How to make essential oil Infused Vinegar
You'll need a cup of water, a cup of white vinegar, 20 drops of lemon essential oil and a clean spray bottle.
- Combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of white vinegar into a spray bottle
- Add 20 drops of lemon or peppermint essential oil & shake before use.
- Label the Bottle (To prevent mixing)
Incredibly Effective For:
Eliminating pee stench: If you have men or boys in the family, you probably have problems with the pee smell every so often. Simply Spray the bowl area to quickly remove the smell.
Cleaning & Disinfecting Cutting Boards: Get rid of the bacteria on your cutting board by spraying liberally and letting it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing.
- Cleaning Stainless Steel Appliances
5. The Ultimate Disinfecting Spray
Bleach are effective against mold and are great when it comes to disinfecting your home.
They are very strong and can be toxic to the human body, plus, they are not environmentally friendly.
I later came across a friend who recommended this incredibly simple yet effective that is just as good as bleach if not, better.
Here's how you can make one:
You need 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup vodka, 10 drops of essential oil, 3 cups of water
- Combine all the ingredients into a spray bottle.
- Shake well and use (Yes that easy!)
This solution works because it combines the power of 2 powerful cleaning solutions: vinegar and vodka, which enhances it's mold removal and disinfecting properties.
You can use this spray for:
- Mold Removal
- Cleaning Bathroom Surfaces
- Disinfecting Kitchen Countertops
- Sterilising of Door Knob
- Disinfecting of Kitchen Sink & Trash Can
Now I'd like to Hear From You
I hope you've found this vinegar spray guide helpful
Which tip from today's post do you want to try first?
Are you going to make the All purpose Spray?
Or maybe the Citrus Infused Vinegar Spray?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below
P.S: You may buy this white vinegar from Amazon